Thursday, June 25, 2009

For Sofi

The other day at the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park we stopped to feed the ducks at one of the ponds. We dug through our pockets for quarters to buy handfuls of mash from the machine, and as we did the ducks began to gather in anticipation. Instead of tossing the little pellets into the pond, I chose to feed the two mallards quacking at my feet. I opened my hand and they gently took the food, one pellet at a time.

This drew a little crowd of parents and kids, and after a few minutes a boy started to ask (loudly and repeatedly) "Dad, do ducks have teeth? Do ducks have teeth? Do ducks have teeth? Do ducks have teeth?" It was all I could do not to give that kid (and his dad) a short lecture, but as I walked away I thought that Sofi, my favorite 4-year old friend and budding scientific genius, could give him a great answer. And I wonder if that boy's question got answered.

I've always had a passion for science and teaching, and try to share my enthusiasm however I can to whoever will listen. Science is cool, fun, interesting, important, and it's all around us. There is so much to learn about the world, and I hope to use this blog to make Sofi proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment